To Ensure Consumer Satisfaction, Value For Money And Protection From Hazardous Products
Promotion of Consumer Rights, protection against hazardous and sub-standard products through regular public enlightenment
Lagos a cosmopolitan State and the commercial nerve Centre of Nigeria, and indeed the Sub-Sahara Africa has a population estimate of 24 million people. The massive influx of traders and the business activities culminate in daily occurrence of violation of consumer rights manifesting in the sales of substandard and unwholesome goods, unsatisfactory financial transactions (ATM cases) and delivery of poor services in some business engagements.
The Lagos State Consumer Protection Agency (LASCOPA) was established on the need to engender a mechanism for consumers’ protection and ensure that consumers in the state have value for their money and create a sustainable confidence in them.
A law known as the Lagos State Consumer Protection Committee law, Cap L15, Laws of Lagos, 2003, was enacted and activated in year 2008 with the inauguration of the Lagos State Consumer protection Committee (LSCPC) on the 27th February, 2008.
The impressive performance of the free services provided by the Lagos State Consumer Protection Committee (LSCPC) gave room to the further enactment of the Lagos State Consumer Protection Agency (LASCOPA) law, cap C13 laws of Lagos State, 2014.
ROLES OF LASCOPA
The Agency was established to uphold the rights of consumers in Lagos State and saddled with the following functions:
- Ensure speedy redress of consumer complaints through negotiation, mediation or conciliation
- Advise the State Government on consumer protection policies
- Ensure the replacement of hazardous products with safe products and seek ways and means of eliminating hazardous products from the market in conjunction with the relevant Government Agencies
- Initiate investigation in its own name whether upon the receipt of a complaint or not
- Publish from time to time the list of products the consumption and sale of which have been banned, withdrawn, restricted or not approved by the appropriate Federal Government Agencies
- Cause an offending company, firm trade association or individual to compensate or provide relief to injured consumers or communities as a result of adverse effects of harmful products
- Organize and undertake campaigns lectures or other forms of activities that may lead to increased public consumer awareness, enlightenment and conduct public information campaigns for the purpose of educating and advising consumers in relation to consumer protection and welfare
- Encourage trade industry and professional associations to develop and enforce in their various fields, quality standards designed to safeguard the interest of consumers
- Encourage the formation of voluntary consumer group or association for the interest of the consumer
- Cause where necessary, quality tests to be conducted on a consumer product
- Apply to Court to prevent the circulation of any product which constitutes an imminent public hazard, enforce and protect the right of consumers, or seek relief or compensation for injured consumers where negotiation, conciliation or mediation fails
Social Media Platforms
Contact us at;
Lagos State Consumer Protection Agency is located atNo. 2B, Soji Adepegba Close, Off Allen Avenue, Ikeja, LagosE- mail firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone08124993895, 0906432154, 08092509777